Dr. Thomas BDS, FFDRCS (Ireland), FICOI (USA)
D.H.A. Certified Specialist Implantologist and GP
M.O.H Certified Consultant Maxillofacial Surgeon - Grade A
Dr. Thomas who started his clinic in 2008 in Jumeira Lake Towers, DMCC, is now one of UAE’s most reputed and sought out dental implant specialist in Dubai. A compassionate healthcare professional with over 20 years of experience, Dr. Thomas has spent several years in world’s leading dental institutes, hospitals, and health centers, earning notable accreditations and establishing associations with some of the world’s renowned dental organizations.
Among peers, Dr. Thomas is well known for his “Patient First” attitude and his methodological approach in evaluating patients uniquely, creating detailed multiple modality treatment plans during consultation.
BIJU THOMAS MEENATHATIL, BDS, FFRDRCSI (Ireland), FICOI (USA)
Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and Implantologist
Graduated in Bachelors in Dental Surgery from Mangalore University, Karnataka, India in the year 1986. He studied for BDS in the most reputed AB Shetty Institute of Dental Sciences which is now a deemed university and rated 2nd best dental college in India.
A year after completing the BDS he went over to Republic of Ireland and passed his primary fellowship exam the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland.
Immediately after that Dr. Thomas started working as a registrar in Maxillofacial Surgery at St. James’s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland, which isthe medical college of Trinity University, Dublin , Ireland. During this time, he worked under the mentorship of Mr. Frank Brady, who was the Dean of Royal College for the Faculty of Dentistry and also the chief consultant maxillofacial surgeon at St. James’s College. Mr. Brady was trained under the mentorship of Sir Norman Row who is considered as the Father of Modern Maxillofacial Surgery. In 1990, he completed his fellowship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and obtained the most coveted FFDRCSI (Maxillofacial) from the Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland.
During that time he had extensive exposure in maxillofacial trauma, orthognatic surgery, cleft palates, salivary gland pathology and oral neoplasm’s. He also had unsupervised theatre sessions to perform complex surgeries.
After this job, Dr. Thomas took up the most coveted specialist registrar job at Addenbrooks NHS Trust, Cambridge UK (which is the medical college of Cambridge University Hospital, UK). Addenbrooks NHS Trust is a 1,500-bedded hospital which was also a tertiary referral centre for organ transplant for the entire Europe. During this time he worked under the mentorship of Mr. David Adlam, WT Lamp. This is fully paid job as a specialist maxillofacial registrar at East Anglia NHS hospitals as a rotation which covers Cambridge, Ipswhich, New Market and Oxford .
After working as a hard-core maxillofacial surgeon, Dr. Thomas narrowed down his interest into dental and craniofacial implants. From 1998-2000 he worked in Sultanate of Oman. In 2000, he started his own private practice in the State of Kerala, India, by the name Scientific Dental Implant Clinic, which focuses predominantly on dental implant treatment. The domain name www.scientificdentalclinic.com is 20 years old. In 2010 he started an exclusive dental implant practice in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. For the credentials please check the website https://www.drthomasdentalimplantclinic.com/ which gives all the details of the Dubai clinic.
We now give a choice of destination for the international patients to choose between Dubai and Kerala. Both of these are internationally known tourist location and hence along with the treatment patient gets an unforgettable holiday too.
DENTAL COUNCIL REGISTRATION PREVIOUSLY HELD AND IN GOOD STANDING:
- BRITISH DENTAL COUNCIL
- DENTAL COUNCIL, REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
- SULTANATE OF OMAN MINISTRY OF HEALTH
DENTAL COUNCIL REGISTRATION CURRENTLY ACTIVE AND IN GOOD STANDING:
- DUBAI HEALTH AUTHORITY
- INDIAN DENTAL COUNCIL
- FICOI (U.S.A.) – Fellowship in the International Congress of Oral Implantologists (ICOI)
- MEMBER – Indian Academy of Osseo Integration
- Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologist, U.S.A.
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland.
- Member of the Indian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Director & Chief Implantologist, Scientific Dental Clinic, India, https://www.scientificdentalclinic.com
- Owner, Medical Director and Chief Implantologist,Dr.Thomas Dental Implant Clinic DMCC, Dubai, United Arab Emirates https://drthomasdentalimplantclinic.com
AFFILIATIONS TO NON-MEDICAL ORGANIZATIONS:
- Life member Cochin International Airport Golf Club
- Life member Cochin Golf Club (Bolgatty Palace)
- Life member Kerala Management Association
- Life member Regional Sports Centre Cochin
- Life member Doctors Club, Indian Medical Association
- Life member Cochin Yacht Club
- Life member Shooting Academy Kerala
- Life member Wednesday Club (Public Speaking)
WORK EXPERIENCE AND POSITION HELD:
- Former Mentor of Nobel Biocare Implant Fellowship Programme
- Former Maxillofacial Registrar at these centers of excellence: CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL – U.K. and TRINITY UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL – Ireland
- Consultant Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon – Head of the Department Maxillofacial Surgery Chaithanya ENT Hospital, Cochin (a hospital exclusively dedicated to head and neck surgery)
- Formerly Senior Consultant Orthognathic Surgeon, Multidisciplinary Programme Dept. of Orthodontics, A.B Shetty Dental College, Mangalore Senior Specialist in treating facial deformities
- Chairman of Sun Foundation, a charitable trust for people with facial deformities
- Formerly Consultant Dental Surgeon, Hindustan Newsprint Ltd., Velloor and Indian Airlines – Kochi
Formerly Maxillofacial Registrar at Centers of Excellence:
- CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL – U.K.
ADDENBROOKE’S NHS TRUST is a tertiary referral center hospital for all specialties. This hospital is known as largest centre for liver transplant treatment in the whole Europe.
The maxillofacial department was the tertiary referral center for the whole of East Anglia. The department was manned with three consultants and one registrar(Dr.Thomas) and four senior house officers and five clinical assistants.
The department handles maxillo-facial trauma, salivary gland surgeries, oro-facial tumor, surgeries for facial deformities,craniofacial and dental implant treatment.
The unit was allotted 23 inpatient beds. As a registrar, Dr. Thomas was supervising nursing and SHO AND HO responsibilities for the inpatients including preparing the patients for surgery, post-operative management, the delivering of prescribed medications until discharging the patient.
Dr.Thomas was a fully-paid registrar registered with Dental Council of U.K. He was the specialist registrar under the East Anglia Higher Surgical Training. He was a part of the trauma team and was one in three second on call. He has carried out multiple complex operations under general anaesthesia with inter-disciplinary support. He is well versed with medico-legal aspects and aseptic surgical procedures. Twice in a week, he carried out procedures under IV sedation on his own.
During that time,Mr. David Adlam and WT Lam were the consultants. Mr. Ian Robinson was the consultant orthodontist with whom Dr. Thomas closely associated for planning and performing all his orthognathic (jaw deformity) surgeries.
He also spent lot of time in the unit’s craniofacial laboratory and with craniofacial technician (Mr. Peter) and actively participated in the surgical and prosthetic management of craniofacial implant supported prosthesis.
- TRINITY UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL – DUBLIN, IRELAND
St. James’s Hospital NHS Trust, Dublin Ireland is Trinity University Hospital. This hospital is known as national tertiary referral center for all specialties. This national maxillofacial department was manned with three consultants, one senior registrar, one registrar (Dr. Thomas) and four senior house officers. Maxillofacial trauma, salivary gland surgeries, orofacialtumor surgeries facial deformities, craniofacial and dental implant treatment were carried out routinely.
Dr.Thomas was a fully paid registrar registered with Dental Council of Republic of Ireland. At that time he was the registrar to Mr. Frank Brady B who was the Dean of the Royal College of Surgeons for the Faculty of Dentistry. Mr. Brady while his training was registrar to Sir Norman Row who is considered as the Father of Modern Maxillofacial Surgery. The other consultant was Mr. Hugh Barry who had enormous interest in dental implants. This hospital was the center for fellowship examinations for RCSI. Dr. Thomas was a part of the trauma team and was one in three second on call. He has carried out multiple complex operation under general anesthesia with interdisciplinary support. He had his own theater list which U.N. supervised twice in a week.
After this extensive working experience he decided to set up his private practice back in Kerala, India. Because of his enormous interest in dental and craniofacial implant treatment he narrowed down his practice predominantly focusing in dental implant treatment.
GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL HOSPITAL (Associate specialist)
CHELTENHAM GENERAL HOSPITAL (Associate specialist)
- Dental Implants
- CranioFacial Implants
- Orthognathic Surgery (Jaw Deformities)
- Replacement of Lost Teeth
Figure 1. Awarded the FFDRCS (Fellowship in Maxillofacial Surgery from the Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland)
Figure 2. Group photo of the fellows of that batch in the Royal college conferring hall
Figure 3.Mr. Frank Brady, Dean of the Royal College awarding the Fellowship (Dr. Thomas at that time was a registrar to Mr. Frank Brady at St. James’s Hospital Dublin, Ireland)
- Formerly Consultant Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon – Head of the Dept. of Maxillofacial Surgery
Specialist Hospital- a hospital dedicated only to plastic reconstruction surgery.
CHAITHANYA ENT HOSPITAL COCHIN (Consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeon)
- CHAIRMAN – SUN FOUNDATION
Sun Foundation is a charitable trust focusing exclusively on people with facial deformities.